Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
2017 Cass Trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: 2017 Cass Trip Reply with quote

We arrive June 10 this year.......only 50 days to go!
Can't wait to hit Dick's Bay, Pike Bay, Allen's Bay and so forth.
So much water, so little time.

And next weekend will be our first outing at my Sis's campground here in Illinois....I hope they have leeches early this year but if not then just soaking crawlers or waxies will have to do!
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene--glad to see your post on this years Cass Lake trip. Our threesome will be going week of June 3rd this yearand staying at the Shoe. From the posts I have read this year seems to be a repeat of last years weather and water temps as far as can be projected at this time. Most guides are saying the extremely clear water has changed the walleye bite alittle and we shoud expect the spring weed bed to be deeper than in years past. where weeds were in 6 to 8 foot of water, they will propoply be start in 12 to 14 foot of water. They also say that fishing early morning and later in the evening is more important due to the clear water. The good news is the walleye population looks to be strong on cass. Good luck and good weather on your trip. I am sure we will both enjoy our week on Cass.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many of us left chatting here, huh Indy?
Glad to hear you will make the trip again...it's in our DNA for sure.

I was surprised how clear the water seemed last year.
We caught ALOT of cigars last year so hope they have grown up some by now.

We didn't get to Kitchi last year and it has been a few years since we hit Buck Lake so maybe this year---so many spots to try you know.

All I really hope is that it is not too windy or wavy....those are my least favorite days on Cass.

Best of luck.....and leave some (Rockies) for us!
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished the Wisconsin opener last weekend and only caught 3 eyes in 3 days. Cold/windy and fish were deep.

Headed to Cass Lake for the annual trip the week of Memorial Day. Water temps and walleyes should be cooperating better by then. Will post report upon return.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to chime in here just to let all my Cass lake Crazies know we're still around and looking forward to this years trip to Pike Hole in late August & Sept. Still doing 4 weeks so we really enjoy being a little more casual then some folks about our fishing and are able to focus on the "good days". Cloudy, a little overcast or a little wind is fine and we usually do well on those days but I'm with Gene on the Cass lake wind that can blow up, it seems like in minutes, and its a scramble to get off before out 17' Tracker becomes a problem. We still do a lot of LMB fishing but lately have been doing much more Walleye fishing.......and eating like a gourmet. Still chasing Muskies also and that's a passion of mine. All in all we have a longer wait to get up there then some of you but still the enthusiasm is strong. God Bless, stay safe all and tight lines and great success for all of you. Bob in Utah.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone out there getting any info on how the fishing is going so far this year on Cass. UNDERSTOOD that opener was real good weather, but have not heard anything since. My group of 3 will be on Cass for the week of june 3rd. Will post as early as posible when we get home. Wish everyone going to Cass a safe and enjoyable trip. Mr Thompson, I wish I was coming up for 4 weeks.
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up here now and staying thru Saturday. It's been cold, windy, & rain last 2 days . Water temp is only 58 degrees. Been tough fishing and have only caught 11 walleyes between 4 guys in 2 full days. Should get better after this cold front moves out. Will update when I return.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the end to another wonderful week of fishing on Cass. the weather was very nice and only got rained on 1 evening for about an hour. most days were 5 to 10mph winds and nights were unusally calm for Cass. Walleye fishing for our group of 3 was respectable with a total of 37 eyes boated this week. SIZE was down this year for us compared to the last couple of years, with the largest eye being 19 +. Pike were plentyful and very healthy with 15 or more over 24 inches. Went to panfish Kitchi one sunny day and had a blast with 16 crappie, 4 0ver 12 inches. also ran into some huge bluegill. The hot panfish bite lasted 4 to 5 hours. Perch were also good with 5 or 6 big ones each day. cant wait to do it again next year. Hope Gene does well this week also.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good trip Indy.

We are here and now are heading into our 3rd day where we are having another phenomenal trip-at least to start.
The weather the first 2 days was gorgeous-77 with mild winds.

In the first 2 evenings we have slaughtered the walleyes fishing an 11' dropoff with a vast majority of our keepers at 14-15" (probably grown up from last year's cigars) and our group best includes a 22"and 3 19"s. We are not walleye fishermen so in the past do not release many. This year already we have thrown back tons of cigars. Jig'n'shiner are way ahead of using a leech on a lindy but both are working.

Big bluegill are coming often enough (from Dick's Bay, in the Turtle River, and from Pike Bay) and we have half our limit of Northerns with the biggest ones at 25" and 26" and several others that are much more respectable than we ever got out of Kitchi in years (silver Mepps spinner was getting the pike in Kitchi as usual).

LMB are here and there with one 17"/3 lber as the biggest and a few others close.

Rock Bass are way smaller and hard to find-believe it or not-and Perch are still hiding from us so those will be on our radar next few days.

Today is real windy to start and they are calling for rain....maybe gonna be a shopping day???? The women hope so!

Walleye fishfry tonight!
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the rest of the week went slower but well.

Tues it rained all day and then Wed it was back after 'em.
W-Fri mornings were nice but it turned real breezy each afternoon with West winds gusting to 20 and with air temps about 75 each day.

We pretty much fished the rest of the week with leeches and crawlers under bobbers in our old familiar spots. We had slow days on Wed and Fri but on Thurs made up for it in Pike Bay where we finished off our Rock Bass limits. And on Fri we chased BG in Dick's Bay again to almost finish limits for them.

We also almost had our limits of LMB and NP for the wee but we only got 2 Crappie all week and Perch were basically non-existent this week.

But we know they are there so we have already signed up for the same week next year.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to see your group had a pretty nice week on Cass. Iknow your group has been going for several years now, was wondering how many in your group. Our group is 4. My son, my grandson, and my grandson inlaw. Due to the very clear water the last couple of years we decided to rent 2 boats next year in order to do more trolling, and 2 ina boat is much more manageable. I am just like you, cant wait to be on Cass again next year--- We might go in sept next year also if possible, sounds like a great time to fish there.Enjoy your annual fish fry with all those fresh fish from Cass.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy,

We usually rent 2 cabins and have 3 boats for between 6 and 9 people...this year 7 of us made the trip.

8 works good cause we each get a bed or bunk and nobody has to sleep on a couch. One of our boats is small so fits 2 only then 3 in each of our other boats. When we have more than 8 we need to rent a Pontoon instead of a fishing boat but that is rare.

Sometimes we drift and a lot of times we lift-and-drift but we don't troll hardly at all. In fact this year I did not even use the trolling motor once. I wish I had thought to try that during our slow times though.

This year we did a lot of "divide and conquer". My boat did not go into Pike Bay all week but we were the only boat to trek up to Kitchi. Both were successful journeys. We tried more around the Potato Islands this year and in Dick's Bay and less down by the Marina or over by Stony Point. One group was planning to portage into Windigo but they got all the way there and one guy forgot his license so they came back but then it got to be too late and they thought better of it. Maybe next year???

And also maybe next year we will venture into Buck Lake. We haven't tried that either for a few years now.

So much water / So little time!!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: